PWM or MPPT?
12V TECH WITH BAINBRIDGE TECHNOLOGIES
Solar set-ups don’t need to be complicated – power up with these top tips and you’ll be hitting the tracks to free camp in no time.
PWM OR MPPT?
Both types of solar controllers/regulators are used to charge your batteries via solar power. Solar controllers are essential when it comes to solar charging, the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) or Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) regulator will prevent overcharging and potentially ruining your batteries. As the name suggests, your solar controller/regulator will regulate the voltage that is being transferred directly into your battery.
A PWM such as the VICTRON BlueSolar is designed to provide stable charge by matching the charge rate to the voltage of the battery. This means a battery with low voltage level will receive approximately the same charge rate, increasing with the increase of state of charge.
- Cost effective solution for smaller solar requirements, as much as half the price of an MPPT
- Provides a stable and safe charge to your battery, reducing stress on your batteries
- Requires less power to activate, showing itself to be more efficient on small solar setups under 500 watts
The VICTRON BlueSolar MPPT:
- Best choice for higher power systems exceeding over 500 Watts
- MPPT chargers can produce a better charge rate up to 30% more efficient when dealing with larger panel arrays on your system.
- MPPT will outperform a PWM in cold to temperate climates
DID YOU KNOW?
Your solar panels could be draining your battery. When left connected at night, and without the right MPPT or PWM – it is possible for electricity to flow backwards from your batteries through the solar panels and start to drain your batteries.
MEASURE YOUR WATTS
Want to know how much power your solar panels are producing? Our Baintech Watt Meter and Power Analyser will do just that. Simple to connect, the watt meter is connected between your regulator and solar panels, via the grey Anderson connectors. The watt meter continuously displays volts, amps, and watts.
WANT THE ULTIMATE SOLAR SYSTEM?
If you’re after a simple plug and play solar solution to power your adventures, the Baintuff 180W Solar Blanket with Victron PWM will provide up to 10amps an hour in optimal sunny conditions. Paired with the PowerTop v3, you’ve built a stand alone portable power system that can take you anywhere. The PowerTop V3 is built on a 135Ah AGM battery. The PowerTop’s battery is charged via the inbuilt AC, DC and Solar inputs using universal Anderson plug connectors which give you the flexibility to access power how you want.