Power Your Free Camping
More and more Australians are using solar to recharge batteries when they’re on the move. It’s a smart choice since solar has a long lifespan, power generation is quiet, and its low maintenance compared to a generator.
Solar options for free camping include:
- BAINTUFF SOLAR PANELS: Hard or flexible fold out panels that can be moved around throughout the day to maximise sunstrike; they need to be stored, then set up and taken down every time you make and break camp, which might be too much effort at the end of a long drive
- BAINTUFF 180W SOLAR BLANKET: Solar blankets which are lightweight, compact and flexible enough to follow the sun. They’re also easier to set up and pack up, and kilo for kilo they have a higher power output than traditional folding panels
- Not only is setting up a breeze, but you can pick your set-up spot since it’ll work on your roof rack or bonnet, the top of your camper trailer, caravan or RV, or rolled out on the ground at camp. It’s weather resistant and it won’t scratch your paintwork, and as the afternoon rolls in and the sun shifts in the sky you can easily reposition it on your windscreen or the side of the roof rack to soak up every last ray. It doesn’t hurt that it also takes up less room in transit, since every extra kilo adds to fuel consumption, plus you’ll have space to fit in a few more six packs
Getting the maximum power output from your system means thinking carefully about each stage of the set up, so remember:
- The size and type of solar panels determines the initial energy being fed into the system
- The charge controller moderates the flow of power to the battery. A simple ‘shunt controller’ will switch off after a pre-set voltage is reached. A maximum point power tracker (MPPT) makes the current taper off gradually and can mean a 10 to 20 percent power boost from one panel.
- Batteries are rated on amp-hours; the higher the amp hours the more power can be stored.
Two of our most popular solar solutions
Watch Graham Cahill review the Baintuff Solar Blanket